Embark on an Archaeological Adventure
Annie the Mummy and her sarcophagus
Discover the secrets of ancient Egypt as you explore the hidden stories and artifacts of a lost civilization. Lost Egypt: Ancient Secrets, Modern Science takes you on an immersive quest for knowledge that reveals how archaeologists use modern science and technology to uncover and understand ancient Egypt. Through hands-on challenges, authentic artifacts and guidance from real archaeologists, you can unearth the mysteries of Egypt, its culture and its people. Lost Egypt opens Saturday, February 2.
- See a real human mummy and—for the first time ever—life-size rapid prototypes, displaying the mummy in various stages of "unwrapping"
- Examine forensic facial reconstructions of four different human mummies
- Discover animal mummies and learn how and why animals were mummified
- Explore a re-creation of an Egyptian tomb hallway decorated with artwork
- See a life-size reproduction of the Rosetta Stone, learn about hieroglyphics and decode an authentic message from ancient Egypt
- Examine authentic art and artifacts from the daily life and funerary culture of ancient Egypt including statues of Egyptian gods and goddesses, canopic jars, Egyptian pottery and more.
- Explore a mock excavation site and examine some of the material remains found in the Lost City site
- Build a pyramid and discover the architectural and engineering challenges involved
- Connect with some of the world’s foremost authorities on Egypt through video interviews and photos from the field
Find out more about Lost Egypt.
Lost Egypt: Ancient Secrets, Modern Science was developed by COSI in cooperation with the Science Museum Exhibit collaborative and was built by the Science Museum of Minnesota. Artifacts are on loan from the Brooklyn Museum and the Academy of Natural Sciences. Photography © 2008 Brad Feinknopf. Mummy scans © 2005 Akhmim Mummy Studies Consortium.
Great Lakes Science Center gratefully acknowledges the citizens of Cuyahoga County for their support through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture.
Support provided by:
Additional support provided by The Cleveland Indians, The Lubrizol Foundation, Oatey Co., The Plain Dealer and The Sherwin-Williams Company.
Your admission to Lost Egypt: Ancient Secrets, Modern Science is included with general admission to Great Lakes Science Center. Members receive free admission.
Add an OMNIMAX Movie
Enhance your visit to Lost Egypt with one of our Egyptian-themed movies playing in the OMNIMAX Theater February 1 – April 30. Regular OMNIMAX admission fees apply.
Mystery of the Nile – Travel to some of the world’s most remote regions, and join the first team to conquer Africa’s wildest river in this fascinating adventure film.
Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs – Journey back thousands of years and unravel the mysteries enshrouding the ancient royal mummies of Egypt.
Opening Gala Special Event
You’re invited to unearth the mysteries of Egypt and celebrate the opening of Lost Egypt: Ancient Secrets, Modern Science on Saturday, January 26, 2013, from 6 to 10 pm at Great Lakes Science Center.
The Egyptian-themed gala will include cocktails, a themed-plated dinner with guest speaker Dr. John S. Nolan of Ancient Egypt Research Associates, access to tour the exhibition before it opens to the public, photo opportunities with themed-décor, including a live camel and belly dancers, and a special showing of the OMNIMAX film, Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs.
Guests will receive complimentary parking in the attached garage. Themed-attire is welcome.
$250 for an individual ticket, which includes reception, plated dinner, presentation and an open tour of the exhibition. Sponsorships are available.
Purchase tickets here or call 216-696-4521.